Monday, July 20, 2009

Healthcare

Welcome to the civilized world America!
It's a start. A weak start, but a start.

"America's Affordable Health Choices Act" (1000 page PDF):
http://edlabor.house.gov/documents/111/pdf/publications/AAHCA-BillText-071409.pdf

I am very pleased to hear they are adding in some serious consumer protections:
http://edlabor.house.gov/documents/111/pdf/publications/AAHCA-CONSUMERPROTECTIONSINSURANCEREFORMS-071409.pdf

  • Out-of-pocket can't exceed 5k (individual) or 10k (family) per year to prevent bankruptcies from medical expenses
  • Insurers can only drop coverage in cases of fraud
  • Insurers can't exclude/deny coverage because of preexisting conditions
  • Insurers won't be able to charge different rates based on gender, health status or occupation
  • Age can only affect rates by a certain margin (rate ratio is limited to 2:1 band)

It's about damn time. Let's see how much of this bill survives until it's all done and the whole thing goes into effect.

http://www.metafilter.com/83259/It-Begins

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Americans, I feel so sorry for your health care system. I live in the US as a resident but hold a British passport. In Great Britian, everyone gets free health care. Although I am currently well insured and paying for insurance, I still have to co-pay following a visits to the hospital, if for example I have an Xray.

All I can say is my biggest insurance (if I need expensive treatment) is to get treated for free by the National Health service in England. It feels good to know you will be treated without any insurance if you are English. I only wish it could be the same in the USA. Just imagine how much it could save the economy to have healthier people.