Friday, April 4, 2008

I am not enjoying the bad news

The last time I experienced a recession was in 1991, just after I graduated university in the UK.

The 1991 recession had a great effect on me. I remember about three weeks after we graduated, we all stayed around in the same student shared house and started applying for jobs around the country. This was in England. As graduates of film and animation, we sent off our resumes to studios we knew about all over the country. It soon became apparent that there were no positions for graduates in down sizing studios. There were also few opportunities or grants to get started. Even regular work such as graphic design was looking bleak. I was even turned down for a job at Mc. Donalds, but looking back I think this was because I had long hair and my clothes were falling apart. Most of us from our university group were unable to find a job between 1991 and 1993. I had to sign for unemployment benefits and played in a band. Fortunately I was young enough to still have a great time, even though it was tough living so cheaply. I did not need to buy clothes (I was used to being a poor student) and as I did not have a job, I did not have to look presentable. I did not have a car or gadgets (there were no ipods then) which made things easier. Even with a reasonable lifestyle with small outgoings, it was a struggle. I hardly ate properly and got into dept, but fortunately in those days, credit card companies were not offering unsustainable 0% introductory credit offers through the mail each day. If they did, my situation could have been worse later!

I understand what it means to have no job during a recession. I would not like to be unemployed during a recession again. It is tough.

I will keep this blog short even as it is getting late.
We went to this amazing comedy Improve show at IO West in Hollywood tonight!

This movie clip below caught my eye. It talks about money supply from the past and how it expanded and contracted. My guess is we are about to contract in 2008 following the credit crunch / squeeze.

Just hit the play button and view it from here!

Here is the whole movie (47 minutes)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9050474362583451279&q=money++as+dept&total=1242&start=0&num=100&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

No comments: